Thursday 14 October 2021

Exploring the love of reading

Exploring the love of reading

                                                                        
                    Many people from all over the world love to read, reading has been a known hobby for many centuries, although in the past it was mostly available to the educated and wealthy members of society but thankfully reading is getting more and more accessible through the help of local charities and libraries, so everyone no matter what their circumstances can fall in love with reading.  

I asked the book community on Twitter why they love to read and the most common factor was escapism. No one can deny that everyday life can be exhausting, and what is a more perfect way to escape your troubles than to dive into a world of your own choosing. Many people on Twitter agreed that reading was a perfect way to deal with stress as @JaneMakar said "It makes me forget the everyday stresses and takes me in to a world of my own choosing, whether it be romance, mystery, horror, I love the escape." whilst @NicholasDAngus said, "It's an escape, and it makes me happy. Simple as that.". There were many more comments supporting this and I must admit, it's partly the reason as to why I love to read too. There is no better escapism than being able to pick your own world, adventures and battles and everybody, especially now during this climate needs a way to escape, even if it's only for a little while.

Another user brought up a wonderfully valid point that I think many people who are disabled or have limited mobility can relate to,
@Adrian66228674
 explained "Being disabled with mobility issues, reading takes me to places I would never would go and allows me to experience things I never could in my own life. It opens vistas that would otherwise remain unknown.". I think this is a beautiful way of summing up why you love to read, it can allow you to experience things that are otherwise impossible to do so.




@OnTheTrail81 made a very important point on this topic by saying "I find that most writers in almost any genre are the ones who ask the really important questions of what we are and why we are. That's why I read. It helps me understand why I am the person I am. Obviously that deserves more detail than a tweet but it's the short of it.". This is a beautiful observation and it's very accurate, reading can help you understand so much about not just your own character but also others, it can take your current understanding and mould it to a much more sophisticating form.

As it is clear from the points made here, reading isn't just great for educational purposes but also extremely helpful in aiding your own mental wellbeing by finding a great medium to healthily release stress.

If you would like to see the full thread about the love of reading, please click here. Why not share some of your own reasons for loving reading in the comments below.

A massive thank you to all those who shared their love for reading and to all the authors for writing such beautiful words that we can escape too for moments of comfort.

Additional information
Credit for image 1: https://unsplash.com/photos/OJZB0VUQKKc?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditShareLink.

Credit for image 2: https://unsplash.com/photos/rjm78PEyYLc?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditShareLink


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Brothers by Robert Derry - [Book Review]

 The Brothers by Robert Derry [Book Review] Print length: 433 pages Publication date: 30 July 2023 My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Synopsis “ When I entere...