Monday 26 July 2021

Five books that you should read!

Five Books That You Should Read

Just a small disclosure; these are books which I recommend, I am not claiming that these are the best books ever written, just that they are great books and I would recommend to everyone who asks.


1. IT by Stephen King


This wasn't my first book that I had read by Stephen King but it is the first that really stuck with me. I fell in love with all the characters, Stephen does a great job with character building and even though many people claim that 'IT' is a long book in itself, I really didn't want it to end. For anyone who truly loves anything horror, I would definitely recommend this to be at the top of your TBR pile. The story boasts about friendships, loss and fear, truly captivating in its own right.


2. The Radium Girls by Kate Moore


This is a new read for me, having seen this book being recommended on a Facebook book group, I just knew I had to read. This story gripped me for many reasons; the first being the horrific story that unfolds and how the people were devastated by the industries betrayal and second, the very fact that this is not only an awful story but a true one. I strongly believe that this book is worth reading and in doing so,  you continue to give the women who died a voice. Their story shows determination, betrayal and finally hard-earned justice. 

3. The Atlanta and The Grant County series by Karin Slaughter



I'm not so sorry to admit that Karin Slaughter got me hooked into reading crime books. My first book I read by Karin Slaughter was blindsighted and once I had finished that, I thirsted for more. Before I knew it I had her whole collection and was telling everyone I knew to go and read the series. I love the main character Sara and you follow and watch her grow throughout the series, you witness some devastatingly brutal crimes and get to follow the investigation with many moments your heart is about to jump out from your throat.

4. The Last Thing to Burn by Will Dean 


This is the first book I have read written by Will Dean but after reading 'The Last Thing To Burn' I am sure I will be reading much more of his work. This book tells a heart-breaking story about a woman who dreamed of a brighter future but was lured in and captured by who was to become husband. The relationship is shown as brutal from the start, some of it is very difficult to read but you just can't stop. The ending has you quite literally at the edge of your seat and praying for 'Jane' and her safety. This book speaks a tragic tale about human trafficking, the characters will stay with you for a very long time.

5. The Grace Year by Kim Liggett

This was one riveting and wild read, if you are not broken by the end of this book, then I am not sure if you were even whole to begin with. This book is very much 'The Handmaid's tale' meets 'The Hunger Games' but it tells its own story. The very concept of the book is that these women had magical powers that they could not control and must be sent to live away from any others to dispel their magic safely, however, they can survive together or they can die. These women don't always come back from this retreat, they are faced with hungry poachers and evil that goes far beyond magic. These women, who are truly just girls, are being punished just for being female. I lent my friend this book and she also fell in love with the book, claiming it to be the best book she has read all year. 

Just a quick shout out to these amazing authors for being so talented and for publishing their amazing work so that we can all enjoy it too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Brothers by Robert Derry - [Book Review]

 The Brothers by Robert Derry [Book Review] Print length: 433 pages Publication date: 30 July 2023 My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Synopsis “ When I entere...